watercolor block made this morning.
A couple observations on this block of watercolor paper:
I do not like this paper. At all. It pills terribly, even when using my Mimik Squirrel brushes and Silver Black Velvet brushes. I found it impossible to lift what are usually very lift-able colors from this paper. The typical use of water caused the paper to pill and the use of a scrubber brush damaged the paper fairly significantly. After drying completely, I was able to brush off the pilled stuff and the paper looks much better. You can still see the damage to the paper however, and I would never use this paper for anything significant.
In fact, I cannot think of anything I would use this paper for other than as paper for an art journal in which I would not use wet media. Perhaps this particular pad of paper (Master’s Touch 140 lb, cold press watercolor pad, size 8×8) is damaged in some way, but honestly I wouldn’t risk using this brand for anything you want to frame, give away or treasure. It is cheap, but I have used other cheap brands of watercolor paper without any of these issues.
The DIY block worked as expected and I am sure it will work very well on better quality paper.